Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My First Cake Pops!

      I have been wanting to make cake pops for a long time. I'm sure you've heard of cake pops, but if not check out this site and let your mind be BLOWN!

      I think everything Bakerella makes is adorable! But when I saw the cute owl cake pops I knew that I wanted these to be my first attempt. If you want to know how to make a cake pop you can find out all about it here

      Okay, in all honesty, these things were a LOT of work! I don't think I will ever make them again unless I really have a totally free Saturday with absolutely nothing to do (which never happens of course) but they were mighty delicious. And I will totally make them again just round and dipped in chocolate, because that would be easy, delicious and still pretty cute. 

       
      I wrapped these babies up and tied them with a bow to give to some of the young women at church. Another great thing about cake pops is that they can really easily be made gluten-free. I have 2 young women with Celiac disease and it was nice to have something to bake for them that didn't taste horrible. (No offense to all the rest of the gluten-free baked goods out there, but you are terrible tasting!)

    
     Luke really liked them too, which makes the hard work *almost* worth it. Also, he refused to bite them. Maybe he felt like he was really biting into a cute innocent owl. Who knows, but he didn't get very far licking it!!!

P.S. Because I could not find ANYWHERE what the candies were that were used as the facial features here's what I did:

The eyes: White chocolate chips with chocolate dots.
The beak: a mini M&M inserted sideways
The wings: Regular M&Ms
The feet: Flower shaped sprinkles
The ears: Chocolate chips put upside down before dipping in the chocolate

1 comment:

Simonds Family said...

Henry had to be sitting next to me when I read this post and is now begging me for "those owl treats!!!" Dang it, Jessica, stop out moming me! ;-)