Sunday, October 31, 2010

Homemade Halloween Costumes

          Growing up, my mom always made our halloween costumes. I remember going to the store around Halloween and seeing a sweet costume. I would beg my mom to buy it, but she would always say, "I can make that, that's easy." I always wished that we had just bought the costume in case for some reason it wasn't as easy to make as she thought it would be. But my mom was always amazing, she would spend half the money and instead of painted-on details the details were always real. I remember one year I wanted to be Pocahontas. My mom bought some suede and some beads and instead of having a one piece nylon costume with a turquoise necklace painted on it, I wore a thick suede dress with a hand beaded turquoise necklace.

I was always nervous about going to school in my home made costumes. It's not that I didn't like them, but I was going to stand out so much against the store bought costumes and I didn't know how I felt about that. But when I showed up to school every Halloween my friends would drool over my costume and say that they wished their moms knew how to sew. I was always so proud of my mom!

It made me feel so loved to know that my mom put so much time into something to make me happy. I think her amazing craftiness and creativity is what inspires me to want to do these things too. I want my kids to have that special home-made aspects to their lives that I had growing up.

That being said, this was my first attempt at a home-made halloween costume for Luke. I have no idea how to make a cowboy hat from scratch, so- sorry, that was store bought. But altogether this costume cost about $15 to make as opposed to the 30+ dollars it costs to buy one.

I made the vest and the shirt, and added the Woody details to the hat. Of course his cuteness is what makes the costume, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I think it's pretty close...

5 comments:

Elaina said...

Amazing! You're quite the talented mommy!

radmegan said...

It's PERFECT! I love that you made this from scratch, and totally feel you on the fear of showing up at school in a homemade costume! Great job! I'm super proud of you :)

The comstocks said...

Wow Jessica that looks really good! My sisters and I had this same comversation the other day about our homemade costumes. We decided they were always our cutest ones! Homemade is always better!

Kori Pratt said...

You're so crafty! What a great idea! That turned out so cute!

Unknown said...

Amazing idea~! He is so cute on that costume. totally rock! thanks for sharing.

I also feature some DIY halloween costumes. Feel free to check out my post featuring homemade halloween costumes too for more ideas and costume options.

Happy Halloween!
Barbara
Homemade Halloween Costumes