Thursday, February 10, 2011

'Cute as a Button' Framed Heart

          One thing we are always needing more of in this house is decor. We have all kinds of little shelvy things with not much to put on them. When I saw this framed button heart floating around the blogosphere I knew just where I could use it. So I got to work making it. 

Supplies:

-Valentine's colored buttons
-Coordinating color of paint
-Paintbrush
-Cheap frame (got mine at $Tree for TWO for a dolla!)
-Glue gun
-Paper

          I started by painting the frame and letting it dry. Easy. 
          
          Then I made a template from the paper that came inside the frame. I did the old 'perfect heart' trick to get my heart super cute and right in the middle. Then I traced the heart and the shape of the paper onto cardstock. 


          I started gluing down the outline of my heart. Once that was done I filled it in. It was not easy. The frame was 4x6. I think a bigger heart would have made for easier piecing. I ended up overlapping a couple of the buttons because I didn't have just the right size for some of the spaces.

          To finish it off I stuck on a label. My labeler was in the same box with my buttons and I'm glad it was, because it gave me the idea for the perfect finishing touch. A little 'love' at the bottom. 


 It's super fast and simple. You could even make it with a kid if you swap out the hot glue for some tacky glue. I like how it looks on my shelf next to my blocks from Target!