Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Target Love

Yesterday I talked about some basics of money saving. Today I wanted to get into it a little more, and be a bit more specific. 


I love Target! We are lucky enough to have a Super Target, and it just happens to be the closest store to our house so I get to go there a lot. 

Target is an amazing place to shop if you are trying to save some money. If you don't have a Target close by then I pity you, aaaaaaaannnd also you might not find this post very exciting. 

There are a couple ways to save lotslotslots of money at Target:

Coupons: Did you know that Target will take a Manufacturer's coupon and a Target coupon for the same item? It's true! You can tell whether it is a store coupon or a manufacturer's coupon by looking at the top.











So if you had a Target coupon for $1 off Colgate toothpaste and a manufacturer coupon for $1 off Colgate toothpaste then you would totally get $2 off the toothpaste! This adds a whole notha' dimension to the money saving thing because you can do Sale + Target Coupon + Manufacturer's Coupon! You can get Target coupons a whole slew of places. Sometimes they'll mail you some, sometimes they print out with your receipt after you shop there, but the best place to get them is coupons.target.com. They put out new web coupons every Sunday (same day the ad comes out).

*** Something I should have mentioned yesterday is if you see a coupon for something you'll buy, print it right away. Some coupons are up for a certain amount of time, and some are up for a certain amount of prints (meaning if they set the print limit at 500 and 500 people print the coupon then it's gone). Another thing that I should have mentioned is that you can usually print each coupon twice, both at target.com and coupons.com***

Clearance: Target has some wicked clearance sales. You can expect things to go on clearance after any holiday. But there are random things on clearance all the time. Here is a list of some of the clearance sales I have seen in our store:

Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, etc: These items start to go on clearance the day after the holiday. 

Got these for .19 each this week. Luke loves pez so I am now equipped with a powerful bargaining tool!
Dollar spot: Have you seen the dollar section at the front of your Target store? Before they move in a new batch of dollar stuff they usually put the old stuff on clearance. I have bought sticker sheets, books, and crayons for .25 each when these things go on sale. 

Toys: A couple times a year Target has a massive clearance on toys. This year they had one right after Christmas. Last year they had one in July and we got tons of good stuff for Luke's Christmas and Birthday presents for soooooo cheap. 

Clothes & Shoes: I am always checking out the clearance section for toddler clothes and shoes (although they have clearance for normal people clothes and shoes too). Clothes will start to go on clearance when the season changes to make room for their new inventory. Sometimes I buy things the next size up for the next year. I actually just broke out a pair of shoes that I got on clearance for $3.24. I bought them and stored them away. So last night when I put Luke's shoes on him and realized that his poor little toes were all scrunched up, I just went to the drawer got out the next size up and slipped them on him.
Don't know if you can see the pricetag but this whole outfit was less than 6 bucks.  75% off!

I never wanted to shop clearance because I figured the reason it was on clearance was because nobody else wanted it, so why would I buy it? But that isn't always the case, a lot of the time they are just trying to get it sold to make room for new products. 

Target clearance usually starts out around 30% off. The longer the item sits there, the higher the percentage off will get. Seeing something for 75% off is not rare. I usually look at the clearance when it's 30% off and decide if it's something I really want, or if I can wait to see if it is still there by the time it gets to 75% off. 

So I hope you have found a new appreciation for the wonderful entity that is Target. And I hope these tips can save you some money! 

No comments: