Wednesday, November 10, 2010

25 Days of Handmade Christmas- Day 1

As I already blabbed about earlier this year, I am a big fan of homemade Christmas presents. I also have a passion for seeking out good ideas. Like I have said before I am not creative, so I love scouring the blog world for cute ideas for handmade stuff.

I decided to share some of those ideas I have found with those of you who read my blog. It's also a way for me to document those things so I can find them easily when I want to use them. Some of them will be things that I am making for Christmas this year, and some of them will be links to a tutorial on another blog. I will probably lean toward presents for kids, since that is what is on my mind a lot. =) But I will definitely have some good grown-up ones too!


Whenever my husband Santa asks me what I want in my stocking I always tell him 'accessories'! I can never have enough hair thingies and beauty supplies. They make me giddy. I thought that would be a super easy super cheap idea for a handmade Christmas present.

I got a pack of 4 headbands for $1. I covered this one in blue fabric and made petals following this tutorial. I glued some turquoise sequins to the middle aaaaaand...done. Easy.

For this one I pleated some purple ribbon, ironed it, and sewed it down the middle to hold the pleats. Then glued it onto the headband and glued the polka dot ribbon on top to cover the stitching. 
I followed this tutorial to make some rolled fabric flowers with some old denim jeans I had. I also wrapped the headband in a strip of denim. Easy (but painful, burnt my finger on the hot glue. I can't believe with all the technology we have at our fingertips we can't invent something better than the hot glue gun!).
This one is my favorite, because it's for ME! I can't wear normal headbands because they always give me a headache, so I bought some black elastic by-the-yard at the fabric store. I think it was a dollar something a yard. A yard will make at least 3 headbands. I measured how much elastic I needed for one headband, then sewed the elastic together and glued a super simple bow on the top. ANY of these headbands can also be made with elastic. Make the flowers/pleats according to the tutorial and sew or glue them on the elastic. 


You can also make bows or flowers and glue them on clippies if you (or your recipient) aren't a headband person. I got this box of 100 clips from a beauty supply store for 5 bucks.

For this flower I just bought a bunch of dollar store fake daisies. I pulled one off the stem, took the front piece and back piece off, and glued a clip to the back and a button to the middle. 


For this last one I followed this tutorial and glued it onto a clip. Sooooo easy, soooooo cheap!


2 comments:

The comstocks said...

You are on a roll! I am so impressed with all of your home making skills!

Jessica Lynn Perkins said...

Ha ha! Thanks! I just totally copy other people's ideas! It's my favorite thing to do!