Friday, November 12, 2010

Homemade Play dough (Day 3)

Making homemade play dough is one of my fondest and most vivid memories growing up. I thought it was funnest thing ever! The other day I made some with Luke. I have tried a couple different recipes and this one is by far the best!

Ingredients:
1 cup flour 
1/4 cup of salt 
2 tablespoons cream of tartar 
1 cup water 
1 smidge of gel food coloring  
1 tablespoon vegetable oil  
*One recipe will make about 3 different colors. 

Step 1: Put the dry ingredients in a pan and whisk them together until well mixed. 
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients and mix (with a mixing spoon, not a mixer)
Step 3: Put the pan on the stove over medium heat and keep mixing. It will start to get lumpy, that's good keep mixing until it starts to really come together, stick to itself and form a rough ball. Take it off the heat when this happens, if you cook it for to long it will get too dry. 
Step 4: Knead in food coloring. I used the Wilton Gel food coloring, because it makes more vibrant colors. When I was young we always used regular food coloring and our play dough was always pastel. 

Making homemade play dough is really easy and so cheap! I am always making stuff; crafts and treats, but making this is almost relaxing compared to even the easiest of projects I have done. I was really surprised how fast and effortlessly this came together. 
 With a couple of dollar store tuperware containers, the play dough can be cutely packaged up and stuffed into a stocking!

1 comment:

radmegan said...

This is so fantastic! I'm book-marking this post for future use :) Thanks Jess